The contribution of the church and the faith of the people were the main components in shaping history and they still hold strong in Kissamos’ everyday life.

THE HOLY METROPOLIS OF KISSAMOS AND SELINO

Seated in the town of Kissamos, it comprises the parishes of Kissamos and Selino west of the Chania Prefecture. The Bishopric of Selinos was a separate entity. In 1860, it merged with that of Kissamos to form the Bishopric of Kissamos and Selino. In 1962, they were raised to Metropolis of Kissamos and Selino (as with the rest of the Metropolises in Crete) and the Bishop was created Metropolite, by act of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Its history spans centuries and is documented in the very first report by the Bishop of Kissamos from Efkissos, as he attended the Council of Sardica in 343 BC, and the lead seal of the 6th or 7th century, kept at the Museum of Rethymnon,…

HOLY CHURCH OF THE TRANSFORMATION OF CHRIST AND AGIOS SPIRIDON

The parish existed since pre-Christian times, possibly under a different name. It retains its present-day name and form since 1865. The holy church of the Transformation of Christ and Agios Spiridon lies on the North side of the town of Kissamos. It was built in 1865 out of lime, stone and a special red earth from Santorini, strong enough to…

CONVERT OF THE PARTHENON, KISSAMOS

The convent of the Parthenon is a contemporary convent dedicated to Saint Mary of the Spring. It was founded in 1905 and renovated in 1962. It housed the Urban School for Girls and the first School for the Deaf and Dumb in Crete

THE HOLY CHURCH OF ZOODOCHOS PIGI PARTHENONOS OF KISSAMOS

The Holy Church of Zoodochos Pigi Parthenonos of Kissamos lies on Polyrrhenia treet on the southeast edge of the town, close to the cemetery. This is a modern nunnery, dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi. It was built between 1905-1910 by Bishop Anthimos Leledakis and renovated from 1962 to 1965 by Bishop Irineos Galanakis. Its premises served as a place of educational…

THE HOLY CHURCH OF ‘KIMISI TIS THEOTOKOU CHRYSOSKALITISSIS’ OF KISSAMOS

The Holy Church of ‘Kimisi tis Theotokou Chrysoskalitissis’ is an orthodox monastery built in the 17th century on the Southwest edge of the municipality of Kissamos and at an altitude of 35 m, overlooking the Libyan Sea. The time of the first holy pilgrimage to Theotokos Chrysoskalitissa is inconclusive and, according to legacy, coincides with finding the Assumption icon wedged against a rock. It is said that it was found by a local farmer, who had visions of an oil lamp flame burning in the night at that spot; it is thought that someone hid it there during the era of Iconoclasm, namely between 726 and 842 AC. Before it was built, another church stood there on the inside of…