The history of Kissamos is rich and the archaeological sightseeing is just as rich. The history is lost in the depths of centuries and intertwines with mythology and the history of Chania and the rest of Crete. Within the boundaries of the Municipality, there are tell-tale signs of Neolithic habitation, and 5.7 million years old prints of a human ascendant were discovered recently. Let’s discover together the archaeological sites of Kissamos.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF KISSAMOS

The renowned Government House at Tzanakakis Square, inside the castle of Kastelli, is one of the prominent and most characteristic Venetian Era constructions in the town of Kissamos. Located in the old town part, once the Venetian centre, later taken over by Turkish occupants, who expanded the castle walls to include the Government House. Over the years and up until 2006, there have been numerous changes to the inside and outside; it houses the Kissamos Archaeological Museum ever since. The Literary Club of Kastelli began collecting archaeological finds from the wider area in 1936 and, in the following year, displayed those available across two halls on the ground floor, while the rest of the building housed public services such as…

ANCIENT DIKTYNNA

Ancient Diktynna was built along modern day Menies beach, at Cape Spatha. This city was a sanctuary, its name attached to the word 'dikty' (=net) and Mount Dikty. According to legend, King Minos was deeply in love with goddess Britomartis, who rejected him. Thus, while trying to escape his continuous pursuit, she fell from Mount Dikty and was rescued by…

ANCIENT POLYRRHENIA

The ancient city-state of Polyrrhenia lies 6 km south of Kissamos and is amphitheatrically built on a 418 m high hill, featuring a T-shaped acropolis. It was populated since prehistoric times and played a significant role up until the Roman Era. Its name means "one that is rich in sheep" but, according to historic sources, its dwellers, apart from being herders, were actively involved in military training and were skilful warriors. Findings prove the city was fortified, had Cyclopean walls and featured an effective water supply and drainage system. The temple of Diktynna Artemis lied in the area that is nowadays called Chalkoklissa, over which the church of Holy Fathers was built in 1894 from the ruins of the former.…

ANCIENT FALASSARNA

In the peninsula of Gramvousa, 12 km west of Kissamos, lies the ancient city-state of Falasarna. Populated since mid-Minoan Era until the 1st century B.C., it took its name from Falasarne, the water nymph. The city featured a "closed harbour", namely an artificially fortified port, with walls, defence towers and docks, connecting, through a canal, to the sea approximately 100…