The convent of the Parthenon is a contemporary convent dedicated to Saint Mary of the Spring. It was founded in 1905 and renovated in 1962. It housed the Urban School for Girls and the first School for the Deaf and Dumb in Crete
The Holy Metropolis of Kissamos and Selino is located on west Crete and today it includes Kissamos and Selino, the two western provinces of the Municipality of Chania. The base of the Metropolis is the town of Kissamos. Today it counts 80 parishes with enormous charitable and humanitarian work either through its parishes or the establishments of the Metropolis, an effort led by his Eminence the Archbishop of Kissamos and Selino, Mr. Amfilochios.
The parish existed since the early centuries of Christianity possibly with a different name, but it took today’s form and name in 1865, when its exquisite church in the names of Transfiguration of Jesus and Saint Spiridon was built anew. On the initiative of the then Βishop Parthenios Bitsakis and with the help of the then local president Mr. Daratsinos and other notables and Christians of the region, and after the permission of the Turkish authorities, today’s church of the parish was built.